Sunday, November 16, 2014

Genso BOX Review


As many of you know, last month, a very interesting add appeared on Lace Market. A J fashion box for only $100, by the name of Genso. Everyone was skeptical, and hopeful, what a great idea.... that could go horribly wrong. I was instantly entrance and afraid, would I get an amazing IW oddment pack type of deal? Or was this just another brilliant Milano plot to get all of our money(I wouldn't be surprised). So I took a baby step and went on the site. I took the test and of course got sweet Lolita. Regardless of what I change or went back to/cleared the cookies, all I could get was sweet lolita. So what ever, I took the plunge and ordered the monthly kit +$20 in shipping (yikes) and I sent an email stating I did not want sweet.

This was the Auto reply on my order.

And the reply to my email;

Dear Heartsnspiders,
Thanks for your registration on GensoBox.com. Now you can enjoy a personalized style experience from start to finish!
Happy Shopping!

All ready I was full of worry, Sweet Sweet Baby Jesus what had I done. Lolita God's is this your punishment?!?! Then I received this; (my thoughts)

Hi Andrea,

Thank you for purchasing the lolita subscription plan! My name is Miu and I am your personal style expert. I will have to ask you a few questions to customize your subscription box before we can begin to do our research and assemble your box. (OMG yes a human.. maybe?) From your quiz results it seems that you're bordering the line between gothic and classic lolita, do you have a preferred style in which we should base your style profile on? (So the quiz did get my info, it just kept defaulting to sweet... or someone read my email)What are some colors that would match your current look? What brands are your favorite (for example Victorian Maiden, Juliette et Justine, Moi Meme Moitie)?

Do you prefer very ornate accessories or simplistic accessories to match your coordinates? Would you like us to include socks or tights with your order? Do you have any motifs that you love? Any that you absolutely hate (for example architecture, painting dresses, florals)?
Thank you for your purchase, and I hope to hear from you soon.
Miu

Hello Miu,

I am so excited to be a part of this. I was the first to take the leap in my community here in California, and we were all pretty scared it would go badly since the test seemed so vague. I am so glad there is more to the customization. I am right in between gothic and classic.

I wear darker colors, black, red, navy, green, dark purples, metallic etc. I love prints, the more elaborate the better, I don't mind if it's Jesus, a cup cake, or outer space puppies, as long as the art is elegant and tasteful. I will even wear some things from angelic pretty as long as the colors are dark. I prefer ornate and over the top, Send me to the classiest funeral, just don't make me the corpse. 

Socks please. 

I think I look best in dark color ways but if the print has bright or even pastel colors as longs a most of the dress is dark I'll love it. I also love fabrics like organza and chiffon. 

<3 Andi

Hi Andi,

Thanks for your quick reply. I've put these all on file and will begin researching your box for this month (we will try our best to pick up on the darker parts of classic that are very popular lately). I like your style and I'm glad that I can help grow your wardrobe! This is your box, we want to make it perfect for you.

I'm sorry that the quiz was so vague, we just recently launched and are revising the quiz in the next few weeks in order for it to be a little more specific. The user feedback has been tremendous and very helpful.

If you have any more questions, feel free to ask, I will update the status of your order when we assemble your box!

Miu

That exchange all happened the day I placed my order, The responses were quick, human, and fairly reassuring. At this point my hopes were high, and by high I mean maybe I'll get taobao items worth the $100. They probably just buy in  large bulk. Most boxes do this and it's how they can offer such great deals. Essentially one massive group order, we all get the same thing but ALL THE VALUE!!

Then a week passed...two...(I worked Hello Kitty con) three... got back home to S.F. four... 

At around week three I saw someone had received and reviewed their Magical girl box, and it had been full of cheap fabric and knock of items. T^T The fear was all too real, this was the end. My body was ready(to click file a claim on pp), I would get cosplay lolita and maybe some sort of bow clip.

So I sent an email wondering where my stuff was, and if it hadn't shipped I wanted to cancel. Mind you I had received no other communication, no tracking number for my $20 package (WTF my IW oddment pack was $50 shipping and I could have shipped my self in that giant box. So I go on the site and am greeted by this lovely message, and just decided if I didn't get a response I would file a claim.

Any way, a few days and no response later, I finally got 

THE STUFF!!!!
This crazy little box was here. Tapped to no end mind you, and in this horrid color, I had no idea what it was until it dawned on me that this could be it. The box was smaller than I imagine, about 11" x 9"
As I was about to slice it open, I realized I had no idea how, so I started removing tape, it took me maybe 20 minutes to remove enough to see how the box opens. Maybe I'm just slow, but I was not about to risk slicing into an item. (then not be able to return it) Then I saw this.
Funny, I didn't order form this brand? I looked it up and this is the wig brand that sells the GLW knock offs but uses the GLW photos.... yah those are the same... right? NAILED IT! ( I did not get this wig in my kit XD)
So finally I saw the light and cracked this sucker open, ready to receive an empty box, my expectations were Zero, so I was a little surprised.  I can see cute things and the box looks pretty full.
The first item was a pair of really nice tights. I have purchase from this Taobao shop before so I knew these would be nice and thick, and printed well. I love that the paws are top and bottom so on the bottom of your foot you see the pads like on a real cat. Keep in mind I asked for socks lol. UPDATE** these are stolen
 Retail: 25 yuan/ $4.10 USD
The next item was this pair of wrist cuffs, the lace has a pretty detail, they aren't finished extremely well but on par with Meta cuffs, if you like that sort of thing 
Retail: 24.50 yuan/ $3.99
Then I got these odds and ends that I was really happy about. I love wrapping these around buns and I can't wait to put acorns all over my next up do. Retail: $1.75
Next up was this head band. The lace is thick and the roses are flocked. The ribbon is thick but not too firm or plastic like. The nice part is that the actual band is wrapped in a velvet and satin ribbon( I expected just raw plastic).
Reatil Price: 59.80 Yuan/ $9.75 USD

Then this guy, a choker,  I feel my neck is too short for these. I am not a fan of this item, it is essentially lace with a charm on it. Couldn't find the actual one but similar ones Retail: ~22 yuan/ $3.58
A bracelet in a similar vein, but I'd wear it. Again couldn't find this, but on average 
Retail: 17 Yuan/ $ 2.77
Then this ring, I enjoyed that it is sitting on a doily. I like mixed medium items so this was a pleasant surprise. The bottom looks a bit odd but it's very sturdy, and you can't see that when worn.
Retails: 18.50 Yuan/ $ 3.02

My final Item was this blouse, It looks correct in size( a bit big but better than too small)  The quality is a bit stiff, but it mostly just feels starched, after a wash it should soften up.
Retail: 228 Yuan/$37.19 USD
it included this bow as well, but looking at the link I believe it was just a piece of the blouse
Total, I basically got the entire set that was shown in the one teaser photo. I am not certain if everyone got this or if they just took a photo of mine before it shipped out. lol (was I the only one silly enough to order?)

They posted this set saying things would vary and more accessories would be included. Well I only got one extra thing (the $2 nuts) so uhm?

My total for what I spent was $120, the total I got in merch was 67.90, and that is rounding every bit up on every product. I paid double for every item that I received. Even with SS fees of 15%(average is 10) my total would have still only been 78.09 + shipping, that I'm certain would not have been $42. Not to mention I am pretty sure they purchased a good amount of all of these things, so they probably got a big discount from the shop.

Having said that though, I still have hope for this service. I think for a beginner lolita it is okay to pay a bit of an extra fee for someone to do the work. Personal shoppers get paid a good amount, they are essentially teaching you how to become a lolita, and although this isn't going to wow anyone, no one will think you don't fit in. The products were decent/nice for what they were (you can't expect too much when an item is $5), and averaged to about $15 an item. Again in my opinion for a beginner this is probably a decent deal. You don't have to get scammed terribly by Milano, you don't have to pick for yourself and get posted on 4chan, then cry in a corner, or spend way more at hot topic only to discover it's all wrong. For an experienced lolita though this may not be a good deal, if you know how to use taobao or have a reliable service, you could use this money to pick items you really want and save a few dollars. 


Conclusion: 
Do I feel like it was worth it for me? Mostly no, although some of these items can fit into my closet and are lovely in their own way, I do feel like I grossly overpaid, since I order from taobao myself and pay no fees. Although I don't consider $40 being wallet raped, it doesn't feel good to lose that amount of money, that's a tea party ticket!  Would I order from them again? Maybe, it's nice to just have a random box of cute show up at your door, and if they were to improve the value they offer I might. Overall it was a good idea, and I am glad I gave it a shot. I will however be e-mailing them and pay pal, for at least a partial refund. 

So why is this brand whore not burning it all and demanding her money back? I don't know these people but I would like to believe that aside from trying to make a few bucks, they were genuinely trying to start something fun and helpful. If I get angry because it isn't BURANDO or 100% what I would have gotten then it wont give them a chance to improve. I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt and I do walk away ok with some of the items (and consider my self very lucky for that lol). Maybe I have bad taste and am unfit to live in the USA lolita mecha that is SF. 

Until next time, lovely lace monsters


**UPDATE**
It was brought to my attention the art on the tights is stolen, I think it isn't so much of being up to my standards but a you get what you paid for mentality. I never expected real brand for 100. I expected something kind of cute and hopefully a decent deal. To me it could have been so much worse. Theft is never okay though so I will be contacting them about that. They have yet to respond to me though so I think my pp claim will be more a affective.
Sadly that was the item I liked most. back they go. 

Also this morning i got THIS!!

I really wanted to give them a chance, but they take an auto payment even when the site is down. *tsk tsk* Genso shop. There was no one to talk to about canceling since the site is down and they don't respond to emails 

**UPDATE 2**
PayPal has reimbursed me the full $119


1 comment :

  1. But I thought the whole points of these boxes was to get a full outfit of whichever box you choose? So someone new to lolita and wanting to try it out would would still have to go out and buy a skirt or JSK.
    I don't understand why they wouldn't at least include a skirt.

    ReplyDelete